Janika Polk is a founding partner of Kuchler Polk Schell Weiner & Richeson, LLC. Ms. Polk completed her undergraduate studies in 1998, at Louisiana State University, where she received a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology. In 2001, she received her Juris Doctorate, cum laude, from Southern University Law Center, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Ms. Polk also studied theater at a performing arts school and minored in Speech Communications at Louisiana State University. She received intense training in communication and presentation skills. This training also heightened her ability to quickly identify a given audience and adapt to achieve the most effective means of communication.
Ms. Polk brings her academic training in the art of public speaking and communication to her legal work to provide successful results for her clients. Among other areas, she has successfully used her persuasive skills in trial, arbitration and mediation.
Ms. Polk is admitted to the State Bars of Louisiana and Mississippi. She is also admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana; and the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi.
Ms. Polk is responsible for supervising and coordinating several large litigation dockets at the Firm. She has a wide variety of legal experience, but her primary practice areas include Commercial Litigation, General Civil Litigation, Toxic Tort Litigation, Environmental Litigation, Product Liability Litigation, and Employment Litigation.
Ms. Polk is an active member of the Louisiana State Bar Association, the Mississippi State Bar Association, the National Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute, and the Product Liability Advisory Council.
Ms. Polk is a lifetime resident of New Orleans, Louisiana, and has strong ties to the community. She is committed to service and participates in a variety of political and community-related projects.
- Janika Polk has been listed as a Rising Star for Louisiana Super Lawyers in 2012 and 2013.
- Janika Polk has been recognized as one of the “Top Lawyers” in New Orleans Magazine.
- Ms. Polk presented on the topic of business interruption litigation and other insurance disputes related to Hurricane Katrina at the National Bar Association’s Commercial Law Section’s Corporate Counsel Conference held in New Orleans, Louisiana in 2006.
- Ms. Polk presented on the topic of Arguing Against Exposure Pathways and Defeating the Causal Nexus to Injury at the American Conference Institute‘s Chemical Products Liability and Environmental Litigation Conference held in Chicago, Illinois on April 27, 2011.
- On September 23, 2011, Ms. Polk served as a speaker at Louisiana’s 3rd Annual Women’s Conference. The panel was entitled “The Satisfied Women’s Series: How to Get Everything You Want Out of Life.”
- William Oddo, Jr. v. Asbestos Corporation, Ltd. et al, No. 2012-C-0415 (La. App. 4 Cir. 5/18/12).
- Pichon v. Asbestos Defendants, et al, 2010-0570 (La. App. 4 Cir 11/17/10), 52 So.3d 240, writ denied, 2010-2771 (La. 2/4/11), 57 So.3d 317
- Johnson v. EI DuPont de Nemours & Company, Inc., 2009 WL 91481 (La. App. 5 Cir. 1113/09)
- Jambon v. Northrop Grumman Ship Systems. Inc. et al, No. 2008-C-0907 (La. App. 4 Cir. 8/14/08).
- Hudson v. Remington Arms Co., Inc., 131 Fed. Appx 449 (5th Cir.2005)(unreported).